Introducing the Virtual Digitizer’s Dream Workshop
Registration for our first Workshop has closed. Click the button above to join our VIP mailing and be notified with a speical early-bird offer when we announce our next Virtual Digitizer’s Dream Workshop
Learn the Foundation of How to Create Your Own Custom Embroidery Designs
Have you ever had an embroidery project in mind, but you just can’t seem to find the right embroidery design for it? Or, have you ever wanted to stitch out a friend’s or a child’s drawing, but you don’t know where to start? Or, have you ever had to waste money and pay someone else to digitize a customer’s logo for you? If you said yes to any of these questions, it’s time to take your machine embroidery to the next level.
It’s one thing to buy an embroidery design online. It’s something else entirely to create one yourself using artwork that means something special to you, a customer, or a loved one. For an embroiderer, there’s nothing quite like the satisfaction that comes from watching a design you created stitch out and being able to truthfully say “I made this project from scratch”.
The process of creating embroidery designs is called digitizing. If you’d like to learn this beautiful art and want results fast, this new online workshop is for you. Based off our proven class structure taught by the world’s most awarded digitizer, this workshop will have you creating smooth running designs yourself the very first day.
Same Fan-Favorite Workshop…
Now Taught in the Comfort of Your Home
We’ve been teaching our hands-on Digitizer’s Dream Workshops in major cities across the world for almost 3 years now… Although attendees love it, it’s not always possible to travel to another city and book 2 days off to learn how to digitize.
So, we figured, instead of you coming to us. Why not come to you? For the first time ever, this workshop will be taught online! If you can dedicate just a couple hours a week for only 2 weeks, we’ll get you past the learning curve and on your way towards properly editing & creating your own beautiful designs.
Here’s What You’ll Learn…
Embroidery digitizing is the art of turning a finished sketch or drawing into an embroidery design file that can be run on your machine. Because of this, you don’t have to be artistic to learn how to digitize. There will be no drawing or creating artwork done in this course.
Instead, this course will teach you a foundation of the age-old theory behind digitizing. Just like any other art form, there are certain rules & guidelines that must be followed to achieve amazing results.
Using a combination of live webinars, video lessons and actual digitizing to help you retain and put into practice what you’ve learned (using artwork we’ll provide), this workshop will teach you how to digitize using the 3 primary stitch types of machine embroidery. These are the running, the satin, and the fill stitches. Every stitch type in existence is a simple variation of 1 of these 3 stitch types… So, once you’ve learned the rules of working with them, the sky’s the limit with your machine embroidery!
The Running Stitch
The Satin Stitch
The Fill Stitch
You’ll Also Learn:
- How to get more done by setting up a productive digitizing environment
- How to get better results with artwork preparation guidelines
- How to get best automated results with auto-digitizing do’s and don’ts
- How to avoid unnecessary jumps & trims in your designs using mapping theory
- How to get clean looking lines in your designs using push and pull compensation
- Make sure the stitches in your designs line up with underlay explanations
- Understand how different fabric types interact with different stitch settings/properties
- How to create designs that stand out using basic color blending techniques
- How to use specialty stitches to get visually stunning results
- Get cleaner looking embroidery lettering by understanding keyboard fonts
- How to create fun embroidery designs with some In-the-Hoop Basics
- Learn how to create some fun embroidery effects using mylar, key-fob and applique recipes
The Workshop Consists Of:
- 3 Live Webinars: In each webinar, John will walk you through what you can expect in each week’s video training lesson & answer any questions you may have about the workshop.
- 6 Bite-Sized Interacive Training Video Lessons: These easy to follow lessons will teach you some foundational digitizing theory, tips and rules. They’ll also hold your hand and show you how to digitize your provided artwork.
- 4 Designs for you to Digitize Yourself: We will provide the artwork for you. This is important to help you retain & put into practice the rules & theory you learn each week. This same interactive learning approach is used in schools & universities across the world.
Week 1: Let’s Get Started
- Live Webinar on (February 8th): In this live webinar, John will lay the foundation of getting you familiar with your working environment. You’ll learn important hotkeys, how to load and resize your artwork, and get you familiar with the theory and tools you will need and use moving forward. We will then give you an overview of the exercises and designs you will accomplish within the first week.
- Interactive Video Lessons (February 8th – 14th): Numerous interactive exercises and artwork will be placed in your virtual “classroom”, these easy to follow exercises will lay a foundation you’ll need to start digitizing. Once completed, you will then be ready to digitize your first couple designs. Our interactive lessons will then walk you through the entire process step-by-step. Once completed you will have digitized 2 designs yourself that will look great and sew out well.
Week 2: Let’s Get Creative
- Live Webinar (February 15th): In this webinar, John will first give you an overview of the designs completed in the first week and give you the opportunity to ask any questions about what has been covered so far. We will then give you an overview of the designs and theory that you will accomplish in the second week. These designs build upon the theory taught in the first week and use more stitch types and property settings to achieve more complex digitizing.
- Interactive Video Lesson (February 15th – 21st): Once again interactive lessons and artwork will be placed within your classroom. A detailed explanation of the theory needed, and step-by-step interactive lessons will walk you through completing two more detailed designs giving you results you never thought possible.
- Live Webinar (February 22nd): Congratulations, you’ve now completed our Virtual Digitizer’s Dream Workshop! In this webinar, John will have an overview of the designs you’ve completed and also answer any questions you might have. He will also reveal some fun bonus projects for you to do which will be put into your classroom. You will also be invited to participate in an exclusive Facebook group specifically geared towards those who have taken one of our virtual or live workshops as well as those who have completed our interactive lessons. Our goal to provide resources within a group for those who have “gotten past the basics” and want to learn more advanced techniques.
Please note: that we will host 2 live webinars each week at both 8pm EST and 5pm GMT to best accommodate attendees from all over the world. You can re-watch them afterwards if you’re unable to attend. Your video courses & webinar replays will remain in your classroom section for 3 months after the workshop is finished. A Facebook group will also be created to answer questions that may arise between live webinars.
Who Should Attend?
- Embroiderers of all levels
- Embroiderers with a desire to learn and be more creative
- Embroiderers who know “the quality should be better”
- Those thinking of learning how to digitize and create designs
- Those wanting to know how to edit designs
- Digitizers of all levels wanting more
Don’t Know If Digitizing Is for You? Perfect! Here’s Your Chance to Find Out
If you’re on the fence wondering if digitizing is for you or not, you’re not alone… Often times, a handful of our physical workshop attendees join the workshop just to test the waters and see if digitizing is something they’d enjoy taking up.
If this sounds like you, know that 1 of 2 things usually happens. Either:
- You’ll fall in love with digitzing and take your embroidery to an entirely new creative level.
- Or, you’ll finally get closure in knowing that digitizing isn’t for you and walk away with a more complete understanding of machine embroidery, and the sound theory it’s based on. This understanding is priceless in getting better-embroidered results. From spotting bad embroidery designs before you waste money on them, to making simple edits and even diagnosing issues on your machine, this course will cover theory that every embroiderer should know regardless of whether they want to purse digitizing.
Either way, for only $179… it’s a win-win! Plus, you won’t have to spend thousands of dollars on digitizing software to find out.
What Will You Need?
All that you need is an internet connection, a PC computer (or a mac with a windows operating system) and the will to learn. We’ll supply the rest, including a printable PDF and a free 30-day demo version of Hatch Embroidery Software. We ask that all attendees use Hatch so that everyone will be on the same page when watching the lessons and asking questions in the live webinars.
Please keep in mind that THE THEORY TAUGHT IN THIS COURSE CAN BE APPLIED TO ANY EMBROIDERY SOFTWARE PROGRAM. This includes whatever brand of software you may already own. In John’s words, “The primary objective of this experience is to learn the ‘old-school’ theory for creating beautiful designs. I’ve seen software brands come and go and I’ve also witnessed incredible advances over the years. But the one thing that hasn’t changed is the mechanical theory that goes into creating beautiful smooth-running embroidery designs.”
How Much Is It?
Although tickets to our physical workshops are sold for $399, the price for the online workshop is set at just $179.
About Your Instructor
John Deer has been the most awarded embroidery digitizer in the world for over 20 years now. As a 4th generation embroiderer, John has an extremely unique history in the embroidery digitizing industry: he is one of the last 2 living Schiffli Masters in North America. John learned and apprenticed under Swiss Schiffli Master Digitizers (then known as “punchers”) over 30 years ago in his grandparent’s factory, before computers even entered the digitizing world.
In the 1990’s-2000s John owned & ran one of North America’s largest commercial digitizing house, where he did the digitizing for many large corporations including: Disney, Coca-Cola, GM, the NFL, & the NBA. John has personally won 30 separate digitizing awards in the commercial industry and wrote the book on digitizing called “Digitizing Made Easy” which has sold over 44,300 copies & is used in Universities across the United States to teach those studying textile.
Here’s What Others Are Saying…
Trusted by thousands of embroiderers & digitizers internationally, your digitizing coach & the world’s most awarded digitizer, John Deer, teaches you in an easy-to-understand language that’ll have you creating your own designs the very first day.
"John is a very good teacher. He has a vast knowledge of digitizing and he easily conveys his knowledge in a clear and concise manner."
- Jerry Zagenazyk
"I am new, very new, to digitizing. This class showed up on my Facebook feed. What the heck, I’ll try it. It was well worth the cost! I feel MUCH more confident to go home and try digitizing projects on my own now!"
- Lucy Thorne
"I truly enjoyed class – I knew nothing about digitizing. John was very patient with me as I was “that special student” – Highly recommend Hatch & John’s classes- We had a blast!"
- Pat Thrift
"Loved the class.. money well spent! John is an amazing instructor who is not only knowledgeable but funny & patient in his teaching. Simple enough for a beginner yet challenging for those with more experience. Thank you for giving us your time & knowledge!"
"Very informative, good tips, Johns experience and skill was impressive."
- Ellen Dunning
"I am new to digitizing and wanted an overview to see if it is something I would want to invest my time in learning. This class gave a wonderful overview of what was involved in creating designs. I have a greater understanding of it, and can’t wait to start! Thanks!"
- Sandy Radcliff
"I have traveled from Phila, PA expressly to attend this workshop. Johns program exceeded my expectations! Terrific balance of practical theory + hands on! So happy I was able to attend!"
- Geraldine Casterline
"I was thrilled to find this class, and very glad that it stood up to my expectations. The class was thorough and well balanced between theory, practice and embroidery tips. I loved it!"
- Teresa Aaklie
"Best theory – based class; not just a push-button experience. John was authorative, kept the class under control. Teaching style was excellent – great job sticking with professional terminology, yet keeping it on an accessible level for the novice."
- Rebecca Ridley